Tuesday 1 September 2015

I actually had a couple of people yesterday, apparently enthusiastic about Bartitsu, tell me that it is not a 'viable method of self defence' (!), and is purely a historical relic.
The information we have about the original system is limited (one supposes that a wide range of methods were practiced within the club), but even from the 'Pearsons' articles we have these skills and tactics;
'Good advice on anti-grappling by Barton-Wright-
'Directly you are seized, strike your assailant...'

throat grabs/squeezes
punches and hammerfist/backhand
Stamp kicks in grapple
The head twist takedown shown by Barton-Wright is one of a number of effective head throws.
An old jujitsu adage is, 'where the head goes, the body will follow'.
Shows scrag takedown
throat grab throw
Use of a Barton-Wright arm push movement to 'duck under'
Foot sweep
In one stick defence against a boxer, Barton-Wright shows a neat flanking manoeuvre. ***
Weapon and arm grabs ***
KNEE TO FACE!!! Emoticono smile'
All of these things are extremely viable (and nasty) fighting/ self defence moves.
I've used the majority of them myself in real world confrontations.
Assuming that Barton-Wright's words accurately describe Bartitsu (which existed beyond a few magazine articles), then
'Under Bartitsu is included boxing, or the use of the fist as a hitting medium, the use of the feet both in an offensive and defensive sense, the use of the walking stick as a means of self-defense. Judo and jujitsu, which are secret styles of Japanese wrestling, I would call close play as applied to self-defense.'
and
"I have always been interested in the arts of self-defence and I learned various methods including boxing, wrestling, fencing, savate and the use of the stiletto under recognised masters, and by engaging toughs I trained myself until I was satisfied in practical application."
show us everything we need to go upon.
I can't understand why people would write off Bartitsu's functionality.
We don't even have to make up some kind of 'neo' Bartitsu for this stuff to be valid.
We know what methods were used in the arts Barton-Wright studied, and some of us have extensive experience of using these arts 'engaging toughs' until 'satisfied in practical application'.
I appreciate that everyone's different, and some just like studying history or dressing up (fair play and good luck to them!)-
but I really can't understand how anyone could think that 'Bartitsu' was/IS not a genuine combat art.
There were some serious people who made up the 'Bartitsu Club',
who I don't doubt for a minute could 'perform' for real (and probably did).
I believe Barton-Wright and his friends set the standard for the 'ultimate' or best all round fighting and self defence art.
This stuff works, you just have to know how to use it.
I'm not a steampunk, I'm not a very good scholar (though I'm enthusiastic!), and I don't belong to any faction, clique or subculture.
I'm not very versed in or attracted to historical re-enactments and I've got no interest in Sherlock Holmes!
I am completely neutral about the fact that other people love that kind of stuff.
I myself love the history and the ethos; the worldview and the energy from around the turn of the 20th Century.
I do romantically fantasise on some level about living in those times.
We must recognise the hard truth, that violence in large cities such as London and Paris was very real and very present (and just as horrible, squalid and frenzied as in the modern world).
'Self defence' isn't 'quaint' or quirky; if people think it's charming or amusing, then they haven't been in the position of someone REALLY wanting to hurt them.
A Victorian (or any other) criminal with a knife, in a dark, secluded spot seems like a horrifying prospect to me- regardless of the amount of training I may ever do.
Once we understand that the need for protection from the ruthless elements of society was and is very real and a genuine fear for people, and that Bartitsu is not just the few bits featured in magazine articles/ advertising features, then we have the basis
for the best and most complete martial art possible.
But I would say that; I'm biased!

No comments:

Post a Comment