Tuesday 1 September 2015

“We are trying to prove ourselves wrong as quickly as possible, because only in that way can we find progress.”
Richard Feynman
----------------
I read this quote in an article by the famous scientist, where he said that the problem with most scientists is they're looking for evidence to prove that their theories are right; whereas (according to Feynman) the TRUE scientist is looking for the evidence that PROVES HIS THEORY WRONG.
Because only by really putting something under full scrutiny, criticism and testing can we find out THE TRUTH (in scientific terms).
Of course, in martial arts as in science, religion and politics,
ego (the guru mindset), greed (student dollars!) and fear (maybe I AM vulnerable, after all?!) combine with that friend and foe BELIEF, which allows us to hold something in our mind, despite all evidence and probability.
BELIEF can be useful in blocking out negatives and worries that impede our survival and functioning (a soldier has to believe on some level that he probably won't get shot, to enter a firefight, a mother has to believe that she'll find her lost daughter and an athlete has to believe he'll win the race).
When belief blinds us to real dangers, and limits our potential and freedom to THINK; then it is a major negative, and counter-productive to survival...
-----------
That's why, even at 39 and feeling the years, I'm getting into the boxing ring with guys half my age, to see if my skills and my courage hold up.
Many martial arts or self defence 'instructors' don't even do that, yet they BELIEVE (and preach) that their methods work.
Even though I've SEEN thosuands of jabs thrown on TV, I still need to know I can hold off fit, aggressive young attackers with my own jab (I only ever really threw a right hand, in the dozens of streetfights I had! Emoticono smile )
If I can make ANYTHING work against a decent wrestler (there's no guarantee of that! LOL), I'm happy that thing has value.
We need an attacker, not just in our imagination, but IN OUR FACE; someone who really wants to prove that we're nothing and that they can destroy or dominate us.
That's why I'm going into sports competition somewhat later than my 'peak'.
It's a testing ground.
If you can't make your 'self defence' work (at least SOME of it!) against an aggressive, tough lad with boxing gloves on
(and you won't know unless you try it!)-
THEN HOW CAN YOU BE SURE THAT IT'D STAND ANY CHANCE OF WORKING AGAINST A CRACKHEAD WITH A CROWBAR?!
And how can you not feel guilty TEACHING THIS THEORY AND SPECULATION TO PEOPLE WHO HAVE FAMILIES TO PROTECT?!
A real attacker wants to prove that you, your courage and your skills ARE ALL WRONG!
Until you test what you're doing against someone that wants to f**k you (and your 'technique') up,
IT'S ALL PURE IMAGINATION......

No comments:

Post a Comment