Saturday 5 September 2015

ROMANTIC HEMA?!

I'm interested in combat, both historical and modern, because violence is part of the human (and animal) condition, and I wish to stay safe- and to help others stay safe- from said violence.
I wonder how many of the HEMA and other martial arts folks who fantasise about and play at fighting really think deeply about (and would be immediately prepared for) HURTING, breaking, smashing, cutting and hacking another human being to pieces (smelling it, seeing victims convulse and shudder, hearing moans, screams and gurgles).
I know that I myself would be prepared for this in a necessary context; as I've done a reasonable (some would argue 'UNreasonable'!) degree of that before! (That doesn't mean I necessarily WANT to or would ENJOY doing it again, though).

These people who seem to think that 'historical' violence was somehow more glamorous, more romantic or even (heaven forbid!) 'quainter' than what can be seen on the nightly news, youtube , the slums or ghettos of any city or even a British town centre at the weekend, would probably be the first to be really shocked and traumatised if they saw or had to do the sort of things their 'heroes' or 'favourite characters' had done.

They're like little boys playing at being soldiers.

Looking at some of the artistic representations in the link (which I've chosen for their fidelity to violence I have seen and been involved in), I personally look at them and know that I wouldn't want to be part of ANY of those scenes- not as victim, victor or in the case that those two roles are still 'up in the air'!

 http://modernantagonistics.blogspot.co.uk/2015/08/romantic-hema.html


People with safe lives, sterile imaginations and a lack of guts play at violence, while harbouring a deep terror of it (some sort of psychological displacement activity, I would guess).
Many people around the world have and do hurt others, and are hurt by others, and know that it's not romantic (unless they are either psychotic, or going through a youthful 'killer' phase).

There is hope, however.
Maybe those who have led protected, sheltered lives can 'cross the rubicon' and train with enough fury, intensity, cruelty and VIOLENCE, that they will grow up from their childish daydreams, and actually become MEN who can protect (or otherwise), maybe even like their 'heroes'......

No comments:

Post a Comment